Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Woking Hockey Club app


Boys U12 - Match centre

Alton (rescheduled)
Woking Hockey Club
Sun 24 Mar 10:30 - League Full time

Woking U12s v Alton U12s


So near...

Woking U12s v Alton U12s – Drew 1-1
Today the boys played Alton in what was likely to be the title decider. Woking needed to win as they had lost 3-1 in the home fixture earlier in the season.

Alton lined up with what looked like some extremely tall boys who wouldn’t look out of place in an U14 side. We were also trying to spot their two star dribblers who had stood out in the first fixture. Alton were going to be tough opponents and they started strongly, pushing us back into our own half. The boys battled well and withstood the pressure. As the first period progressed Woking were beginning to find their feet and we were seeing some lovely attacking runs down the right side as Jack passed to Sam, who ran the touchline and crossed into the D. Felix was holding the middle well and Albie and Daniel Q were getting chances that were narrowly missing the goal. As the period drew to a close, Albie found himself in the D and, with everyone looking for the pass to Daniel Q on the left, including the GK, Albie pulled off a reverse stick shot into the bottom right corner of the goal. It remained 1-0 Woking as the period ended.

Period 2 saw Joe E move up to central midfield. In the first 10 minutes we had a number of good chances to double the score, but our execution was not quite there. Alton were very much still in the game and the play was end to end. Our marking in defence had become a little bit ragged and so Joe E was put back in central defence, where he has played a commanding role all season. Alton were attacking well down the flanks and their attackers were finding space in the middle of the pitch. The pressure was piling on our defence and eventually Alton scored from a high shot into the back of the net, which whizzed past Haiden’s head. No one was going to stop that one going in.

Period 3 saw us change ends and we were now facing the sun. We were after one goal to seal the win. Some of the boys were beginning to tire and our shape was getting stretched and the gaps were showing. That said, Alton were in the same position and chances were still coming down the middle of the pitch, particularly to Albie. Time though was running out for both sides, and eventually the final whistle blew and the game ended 1-1. In fairness to both sides, this was probably a fair result.

I know the boys will be a little disappointed not to have got the win, but they all played their part in a hard fought draw. They all ran their socks off and should be proud of their efforts against a very good Alton side.

Thanks to Mark R for umpiring and to Gihan for helping me manage the team.


Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


Loading comments


Club sponsors